Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Rock & Roll DC - Volunteering on the Blue Mile

When the year began, I promised myself that I would take the time to give back to the running community. I have been the recipient of so much great mojo from running that its the least I can do to pass that along to other runners. So last Saturday I got up in the morning when there was still a leading four on the clock to get downtown to help with the Rock & Roll Marathon and Half Marathon. The group I chose to volunteer with is one I have become familiar with through my running group. One of the members is a local chapter president, but has been involved with the group for as long as I have known her. The organization is called wear blue: run to remember. Check out their website to learn more about them! They are a running group that serves to honor the service and sacrifice of the American military. At several big races locally (and other races nationally), they set up a special mile dedicated to fallen service members. Part of the section has signs set up in tribue to indiviudal service members who lost their lives. The sign features their photo, name, date of death, and their age at the time of death. After runners have completed this section, they next head into a section that is a living memorial. Along the side of the road are volunteers each holding an American flag. That flag has a special tag attached to it honoring a service member as well. I was lucky enough to get to be a part of this tribute that is referred to as the "Blue Mile".

The wear blue staff welcomed volunteers at 6AM but they had long been working before our arrival. They had spent the hours before our arrival setting out the signs along the first part of the course AND setting up an amazing volunteer tent. We were greeted with coffee, donuts, bagels, fruit, and the gratitude of a wonderful and welcoming staff. After socializing and getting to know our fellow volunteers, each of us was given a flag. We then participated in a Circle of Remembrance.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for coming out!! BAMRs are the best volunteers!! 💙

    ReplyDelete